Wednesday, January 12, 2011

God DOES give us more than we can handle.

A dear friend pointed out to me quite a while ago that NO WHERE in the Bible does it state that God will not give us more than we can handle. Don't believe me? Go ahead, look it up. I'll wait...


I Corinthians 10:13 may be one of the most misquoted scriptures in the Bible, "No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it."


This scripture is referring to temptation, not trial.


Actually, I do believe that God does, in fact, allow us to experience more trial at times than we can handle. And I do believe that He does it, in fact, on purpose. Because, you see, if we never had more than we could handle, guess who our lives become about...us. If I am never handed too much, then it becomes about how strong I am and how much I can overcome. And I have shared this notion with people, and some get offended while others are frustrated. But, I will tell you the truth here, this realization that came to me in 2009 provided, believe it or not, tremendous joy and peace to my life.


So, you ask, 'Why in the world would God - on purpose - allow more than I can handle?' Well, I can't answer for everyone, but I can say that in my life it was to teach me a dependence on Him that otherwise I never would have learned. You see I am a very independent, and VERY stubborn, individual. And I had spent the majority of my adult life, and yes, my marriage, making things about me that were not about me.


And God needed my life to be about HIM.


God did not tear down my life. God did not destroy my marriage. However, decisions were made and paths chosen, and God used it to His glory. In April of 2009, my life crumbled beneath my feet. Everything that I knew, or thought I knew, was proven false. Everything that I had built as a foundation to hold on to, shattered all around me. Humor me while I try to use a metaphor, but if you would imagine standing still while the earth crumbles and plummets beneath your feet and you are left with nothing - and I do mean nothing - to hold on to. That is how I felt at that time. While I had friends who loved me and were there for me and prayed faithfully throughout that time, there was no one who could step in and rescue me or fix things. I have been told by nearly every significant person in my life - at one time or another - that I was simply not worth it. That it is easier to walk away from me than to stick it out and work through challenges. And now I had been told that by the person I had built my life around for 16+ years.


I am no victim here. Please do not read that into my words. I was not the wife God called me to be. And as a result, Satan was given an open door. Strike that - he was given a gaping wide hole to weasel his way into my marriage. He lied and betrayed and manipulated. And thought he had found victory.


However, "We know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28. God has a way of stealing satan's victories.


God used this experience to change me. I don't mean change my attitude or my perspective. I mean CHANGE. ME. I am not who I was two years ago. And in all good ways. God used this experience to, first of all, point out the tremendous selfishness in my own life and heart. He shined a light into the darkest recesses of my heart that I had not handed over to him And let me tell you, that is painful. You know how you feel when you wake on mornings when it is still dark outside and turn on the light? You know that pain in your eyes which need time to adjust? Yet, you have to turn the light on or you will stub your toes and pee in the floor. We NEED light to see. And although sometimes turning that light on is painful to say the least, we need it. I needed the Lord God to turn that light on to illuminate things within me that needed to change. Second, he used that experience to challenge me. To grow. To lean on Him. To seek Him more deeply.


I would go to my porch to pray in the mornings...actually all day long. And many of you have heard me talk about my porch. It is now a sacred, special place to me. Because, you see, God met me there. I ran to Him there, cried out to Him. And He met me. He wrapped His amazing arms around me. I felt Him. I heard Him. I knew Him.


But - here's my cliffhanger: I will wait till next time to share more about that place I found with God. I needed you to know the dark place I started from before I could share with you the tremendous gift of where God led me.


God IS the Great Love. Next time, I will share how I know this. And, I also have a secret for you. You just might be amazed. But you may never look at God the same after this.

6 comments:

  1. "God used this experience to, first of all, point out the tremendous selfishness in my own life and heart. He shined a light into the darkest recesses of my heart that I had not handed over to him And let me tell you, that is painful."

    Yes. Yes. Yes. A million times yes. I know our paths have been very different...but the total destruction of my life--that I know. And this part right here is the hinge on gaining the new life or just wallowing about in the pathetic wreck of the old. Light it up, clean it out, own your part and CHANGE....and then let God refill where the yuck was removed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And this, my dear Dana friend, is why I love you the bestest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul talks about God's grace transforming us into new beings (Ephesians 4:17-24). But, this is by no means a new concept. Way before God's plan to transform the Israelites through their trials after being released from captivity, Job went through the ringer in becoming transformed. Transformation, just like discipline, is not pleasant at the time, but later produces a harvest of righteousness and peace.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you make me want to have a better relationship with God. I want to be one of his favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. Yes. Yes.

    Honey, I've been in this very place and have also learned much about selfishness, idolatry, and so many other things that I didn't believe were part of my life.

    But they were, and it took complete crisis to shine the light on it. You will find strength is sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember the first time I heard you mention this in class one Wednesday night. I always "thought" that was what it had said, but I was wrong. Every time I have heard someone say that since I have wanted to yell, "No, it doesn't." You're right - tempted. In my own life he brought me to the point where I had to realize that I wasn't truly relying on him. Only when I did did things change for the better.

    Thank you for this, Nancy. Thank you for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete