Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Marriage - Read with Caution (and there WILL be a part two)

I say "Read With Caution" because I am probably really about to step on some toes here with this one. I am probably also going to say some things that you may think are completely out of left field and may get me labeled in some circles.

Oh well...

I have some thoughts on marriage that I really want to say. Make that - some things I feel called to say. Because just as I am passionate about YOU and your knowing how relentlessly God pursues you and loves you, I am also passionate about marriage. "Why?" you ask? That's a fair question since I am staring down the backroad of my own failed one. I am passionate about it because, as many of you know all too well, Satan is passionate about killing marriage. One by one. Like soldiers on a battlefield, we are picked off. One by one. We barely have time to wrap our minds around the comrade across the field who has fallen when we look over to see that the one right next to us is down. And it makes us fearful. And questioning. And we wonder, "Who's next?" And before we know it, it's us.

So, indulge me a moment and let me share my thoughts with you husbands and wives out there. Do you know what, in my opinion, is the number one killer of marriage? I have not done the research, but my honest and humble opinion is this: Selfishness. It is not finances. It is not adultery. It is not time. It is pure and simple selfishness.

That, and a failed ideal of what marriage is all about to begin with. Do you realize that marriage is the only - let me reiterate ONLY - relationship compared with the relationship of Christ and His followers? Do you get that? Because I certainly did not. In any way. I did not grasp, realize, respect, nor honor that connection. And we as disciples read those words in THE Word, and you know what we do? We sit and look at our spouses and think to ourselves, "If only he/she would act right, then I could act the way God calls me to."

Selfishness.

I was looking online for a book when I stumbled across another book. I have not read it, so do not take this as an endorsement, but the title intrigued me and I have not been able to get it off my mind for quite a while.

"What If Marriage Was Designed to Make Us Holy, Not Happy?"

I do not even remember the name of the author. But the title was enough to challenge me. (And yes, I do intend to read it one day). What if we really do not 'get it'?

Marriage was not designed to be one giant love story like we see in the movies. We have such a distorted, demented view of male/female relationships because we are looking to romance novels and movies instead of to the CREATOR of the relationship Himself. No offense to Nicholas Sparks and his colleagues in the romance department, but I do not believe marriage, or relationships, were designed to make us happy and fulfill us. No person on this planet can do that. And we are putting entirely too much pressure on another person to do what God and God alone can do in our hearts.

I believe that marriage was created to draw us nearer to God Himself. To know Him in a deeper way by living, on earth, in a relationship that should challenge us to know Him in a more intimate, real, selfless-love kind of way.

So, my words to the married are this: (and I apologize in advance)
Get. Over. Yourselves.
Quit pointing fingers and blaming and feeling sorry for yourselves and get on your knees and ask God to use you to bless your spouse. Read "Love and Respect" and "The Love Dare." These two books completely changed and challenged my perspective of marriage.

Although it was too late for me, DON'T let it be too late for you.

5 comments:

  1. Wow!...Yay!...Amen!...and Praise God!
    This was my response to reading this post. However, I must first say that I am sorry for not following through on something that God put on my heart to do for you about 3 months ago, which was to send you a copy of Gary Thomas' book called Sacred Marriage (What if God Intended for Marriage to Make Us Holy More Than to Make Us Happy). It has been sitting on our dresser for THREE MONTHS! I told my husband that it was for you, but I wasn't sure how you would feel about receiving at this point. It will be in your mailbox next week!
    This book has changed our marriage in so many ways. We have met and talked with Gary Thomas and admire his deep godly wisdom and insight that is so rich in his writings that you can't take very much in at once. You have to give yourself time to chew on it. You will be amazed and God most definitely wants you to have this book! (By the way....you have to also read his book "Sacred Parenting"...it will blow you away)

    Love and Respect was another "life changer" for us! Also, you should check out Andy Stanley's "I Marriage" dvd lesson or book. Amazing!

    I agree that selfishness is key to failed marriages. And at the root of selfishness is...pride. Our pride is what prevents us from submitting and surrendering to the Holy Spirit's leading and convictions. Our pride says that we are are here to be served instead of being here to serve. Our pride comes before our fall and we all know that God opposes the proud. Oh how satan loves our pride. That is his main tool to divide and conquer.

    Words cannot express how proud I am of you Nancy Dodson!!!! God's hand is upon you and you are being led by the Lover of your Soul and the Author and Perfecter of your faith! Keep fighting the good fight, Sister!

    I love you so much!
    ~Vena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, yes, and yes! You are right on with this post. I'm still wrestling daily with conquering my own selfishness. How thankful I am that the Holy Spirit is with me in the battle!

    We also heartily endorse "Sacred Marriage"! It's a challenging book, but the truth of it rings in my heart. Paul and I have been through the fire (I won't go into it here, but if you ever want to hear our story, I'll be happy to tell you more about what God has done in us), and I share your passion for godly marriage. Sometimes the lessons learned the hard way stick the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow...that really pierced my heart. I am still in a thicket in my own marriage. I am becoming so keenly aware of the battle for my marriage. I have been so focused on my wounds, that I do think that I have been being selfish. I am suddenly aware of a whole 'nother level of sin in my life. Thank you for your poignancy and obedience to the Great Love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Nancy. I've been so out of Tennessee for so long, I did not realize what had happened. I am sorry.

    But your post is spot on. Terri and I have struggled through it over the last couple of years (loss of job, stress, change of career, the 30 year challenge--yes, we've been married 30 years now) but God has kept us going. Selfishness is THE problem. That's why we are so fascinated with romantic love rather than deep, self-denying love.

    Thank you for a great post.

    -Darryl-

    ReplyDelete