Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Cicadas



2011: The Summer of the Cicada

Those of us in the midsouth know now (if we didn't before) the familiar tune of the 13 year cicada. Those lovely, red-eyed creatures that emerge every thirteen years, shed exoskeletons, 'sing', mate, lay eggs, and die. What an existence.

Outside pulling weeds, the top of my head caught a dying cicada. And I recollected the numerous times I have heard the question: What purpose do cicadas serve? Why are they here? They are born, mate, and die. All within a matter of a few days. And common folk are left wondering: why.

As I sat in stillness watching this small creature die, I thought:

May no one, at my death, look at me and wonder 'why?' My prayer is that no one who knows me or crosses my path will be able to ask that question at the end of my life.

"I want to leave a legacy. How will they remember me? Will I choose to love? Will I point to You enough to make a mark on things? I want to leave an offering; a child of mercy and grace who blessed Your name unapologetically. " (Nicole Nordeman: Legacy)

May people be reminded of me and say "Nancy caused trouble all over the world" (Acts 17)

In Jesus' name.

2 comments:

  1. You have made a difference in my life my friend! I love your blogs and love that there is someone else out there who finds meaning in the most random of things! Maybe I should start a blog myself! :)
    Amy P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful thought. And I love that song, too!

    ReplyDelete