Thursday, June 2, 2011

Silence

"You use steel to sharpen steel, and one friend sharpens another." (Proverbs 27:17 MSG)

There is a unity in shared experiences.

There is a comfort found on the shoulder of a friend.

There are instances when the most powerful of encouragement is said in the silence of understanding.

A simple, "I'm having one of those moments," can speak volumes to the one to whom it is spoken.

It's on those evenings, as twilight settles and quickly fades into night, exhausted and weary, that I repent of longing for silence. Because the silence can be deafening. The bustle of energetic children and puppy is replaced with the clicking of my keyboard and the hum of household appliances. Sleepy and weepy, I progress from dirty clothes to worn out pajamas. Tucking in puppy, I make my way to bed.

And it's quiet.

And I miss my friend.

That one friend who was always on my side. That one friend whose shoulder was always available and strong; to lighten my load; to sharpen my steel...

Yet, My Great Love whispers His affectionate reminders:

"Put God in charge of your work, then what you've planned will take place. God made everything with a place and purpose. " (Pr. 16:3-4)
{Or - as the NIV puts it, "The Lord works out everything to its proper end. " (v.4)}

and...

"The Lord Himself goes before you and will be with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." (Deut. 31:8)

And it's true. Words I have come to know and not because of worldly instruction; yet from life lessons.
Words I live by.
Breathe on.
Fall asleep to.

And arise again : Victorious.

No comments:

Post a Comment