Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Mars Needs Moms - Really?

I am a perpetual student.

I will admit that I have a tendency to look into most (not all) situations or circumstances I am in for a lesson to be learned. I really spent too much of my life as if on a mission, focused on task, and missed the life lessons - and life - happening all around me. I can often get on people's nerves with this, but from traffic to that annoying person standing in line next to me at the store to kids movies, I am looking for a lesson to be learned.

Yesterday, I took the kids to see Mars Needs Moms. (Aside: if you have not seen it, it is a pro-family, pro-father and pro-mother, tearjerker of a movie - especially if you are a mom. Trust me, bring a kleenex). I'm not going to spoil it, I just want to make a quick point. The part of the story I want to focus on here is this: there is a particular character in the movie, Gribble, that is able to help the young boy, Milo, get to and save his mother. However, the reason Gribble is even on Mars in the first place is that years ago he tried, unsuccessfully, to save his own mother from the martians. But, as I watched the story unfold, I saw that had Gribble not gotten on the spaceship so many years ago, he would not have been there to help Milo. It would be easy to see Gribble's situation as a failure - he was unable to save his mother or return to earth so his life was wasted. Yet, had he not been there when Milo arrived, no one would have been able to help Milo.

Lesson: it is easy to look at a circumstance as a failure because things didn't go as we planned. It is easy to look back with regret or feelings of "wasted time." Yet, I refuse to believe that just because circumstances don't go the way I think they're supposed to, that I've wasted anything, especially if I came away having learned something and become a better person through it. God has laid it heavy on my heart for about a week now that even when He tells me something is His plan, it may not be for the purpose I think it's for; that doesn't make it any less His plan. I may never know how He has used me. I may never know why God placed me in the position He did at that particular moment in time - possibly to help or connect with or encourage someone in need - until I stop making every moment about me.

Some of you know that I have said goodbye to a very important relationship this week. In the spirit of transparency, I cannot pretend that it didn't happen and I cannot pretend that I do not hurt. Yet, I choose not to see any moment of our time together as wasted. I wish things had turned out differently. I wish I could have done a better job at certain things and wish we could have communicated better about things. But, in the end of it all, past anger and hurt and confusion, I choose to see the positive; the lessons learned.

God used this special person:

To make me stronger.
To bring back out the minister in me.
To encourage me to write.
To help me to see life in a grander scheme that my own tiny perspective.
To fuel a desire within me to live life like an adventure.

I am changed - I like to think for the better - and I am who I am today because God allowed me to experience this adventure. I will look back with fondness and joy over who God has been honing me to be over these months. And look with anticipation towards what lies on the horizon.

Hmmm...wonder what kind of life lessons we can learn from Kung Fu Panda...


3 comments:

  1. I am so sorry you hurt. I've said so many goodbyes these past years--and they always always hurt. Even the best ones.
    I LOVE this "when He tells me something is His plan, it may not be for the purpose I think it's for; that doesn't make it any less His plan."

    That's HUGE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh girl! I knew there was another reason I loved you! I too see life lessons in almost everything I do. I can't watch a movie, read a book or listen to a song without attaching meaning to it somehow. I think it's our analytical brain. I used to get frustrated with myself and think I wish I could just turn my brain off and watch or listen to something just because. Then, as I came "into myself" more and began to see me as God sees me I realized that God uses these moments to teach me something that I've been struggling with lately. It's usually an "aha moment" and I'm amazed I didn't see it before. I now love this part of me and love that God uses the little things to speak to me. I'm glad to know I'm not the only crazy one here.
    In regards to saying good-bye to someone...obviously this person was no longer needed in your life. They served their puprose and as hard as it is to let go, that is obviously what God is calling you to do. They were there to teach you something and now that the lesson has been learned and the purpose fulfilled they are free to move on and do the same in someone else's life.
    Thank you for being so free to share my friend. Your blog entries encourage me so much. I wish you lived closer and I'd give you a big hug, but since I can't do it in person here it is virtually *****HUG******
    Love ya! Amy P

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is one thing to go through a tough goodbye and to see, later on when the sun is out again, in retrospect, that God never left yours side, nor did His plan ever waver. It is another entirely to declare it while the storm rages. That is the mark of an inner strength that the world can't give and the world can't take away. I think the Holy Spirit just did some kind of back flip to say........that's it. She is doing it!!!

    ReplyDelete