Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Purging

What is the purpose behind a purge?


Purge:  To make free of something unwanted; to get rid of


Simplicity.
It sounds simple.
Often it is not.


We often get together and lament to our friends how cluttered our homes are.
How chaotic our lives are.
How we just wish things would slow down a bit.


Friends, this is within our control.


I've been called.  By a need.


A need to simplify.
A need to clarify.
A need for purpose.


And when I am surrounded by 'stuff' I am easily distracted.


But, this is not just about the physical.
Not just about the material.


Think about what is necessary.
That begs the question: What is UNnecessary?


I am detoxing.  Many of you know this.
This is across the board.
Reaching all aspects of my life.


My home:  ridding of the unnecessary.  Cleaning out.  Getting rid of.
Abandoning hoarder tendencies of the past.
The goal: a much simpler life.


My body: ridding of the useless.  Eliminate the junk.  Fuel my body with God-created foods.
More energy.  More focus.  More stamina for what I am on this earth to do.


My spirit: ridding of the negative.  Eliminate useless talk.  Useless focus. Selfish motives.
More love.  More patience.  More gentleness.  More joy.  More peace.


This is wide-sweeping.
The physical mirrors the soul.


And if you were to walk in my house, or see what I consumed last week, you would see an ugly, malnourished, cluttered, messy soul.


That saddens my heart.


But, it doesn't have to stay that way.


So, when we spring clean and plan garage sales and load trucks to donation centers, let's ask ourselves:


What is the purpose?
And how can I let this transform my entire life?


'Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you.' ~Rom 12:2MSG

2 comments:

  1. Purging = one of the greatest things I have ever done. Truth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So relevant to all areas of my life. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete