Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Thoughtfulness

Sometimes you just need to know someone cares.

You know the feeling?

We all get wearied with our duties.
Working.
Mothering.
Teaching.
Balancing.
Juggling.

And in the midst of our juggling, it is easy to wonder at times if anyone out there knows.
Or cares.

And then...

I have this sister who is lightyears ahead of the rest of us on thoughtfulness.
She was the first one to call me when I faced foreclosure the first time.
And the first one at my door with offers to help.
She is the one who made me the blanket while battling cancer.
She's amazing.

And somehow, she is always the one to ask me - at just the right time - 
"So, Nancy, how are you?"

And she means it.  She wants to know.  She asks me how I'm managing all that I juggle; how I'm doing financially; how I am emotionally.  And she doesn't ask in a nosey way.  She will even apologize if she is making me uncomfortable.  And I remind her that I am as transparent as can be.  Her concern is a sincere, honest, peering into my heart kind of way.
And it is always perfect timing.

I have another sister who is just as thoughtful in a different way.
She sees me and my crazies and my juggling self and she asks herself what she can do to be of practical service to me.  So, she coupons and she shops and every few weeks, I walk into church service to a bagful of items she's set aside specifically for me.  Practical things: shampoo, soap, food, and fruit roll ups for the kids.  Thoughtful beyond words.

These sisters see me.  In the midst of my mess I call life as I juggle and work and teach and balance this path I've been led to, they ease my walk with their thoughtful encouragement.
They live the words:

But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called “Today,” so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness.'~Hebrews 3:13

Whether it's a word or a deed, encouragement and thoughtfulness are priceless in my book.

Today, I am grateful for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment