Monday, April 30, 2012

Giving Up

Not every day can be a Mountaintop Day.


I am a goal-setter.
I am a list-maker.
I am a task-focused achiever.


I love being able to step back and take pride in a job well done.


No matter what it is.


My employment job.  My housework.  My yardwork.


Goals met.
Items crossed off the list.
Tasks accomplished.


It's a great feeling.
Attainment.
Fulfillment.
Realization.


But - not every day is this way.
And not every 'task' is this way.


People.
They are not to-do lists.


There are days when no matter how hard you work, no matter how much you accomplish, you turn around and see the giant mountain of work still to do.


And it's exhausting.
And discouraging.
It's disheartening.
I feel like


A failure.


And I want to


Give.Up.


Right now.
Everywhere I turn it seems a mountain of unattainable goals.
People.
Hurting.  Frustrated.  Longing.  Failing. Tired. 


And I see them.
And I see how I've tried to
Help. Instruct.  Encourage.


I hurt.
I shake my head.
I (sometimes) hang my head.
My shoulders droop.
And I utter the infamous, "What's the point?"


So, as I turn my attention to a sink full of dishes, two loads of laundry, sticky floors, scattered class papers, school backpacks, knee-deep weeds...
bickering children...
very lost friends...


I take a deep breath...
Close my eyes...


And remember...


'Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.' ~Gal 6:9


*sigh*


Let's do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment