Monday, May 16, 2011

Back At It

How many times have you heard, read, or referred to this scripture?

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139: 13-14

It is a beautiful reference to God's divine hand in your creation; His purpose for you to be here; His declaration of life from the moment of conception.

But, I want to take this a step further. Peruse with me if you will:

"Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." (verse 16)

This scripture has been hovering over me for a while - for the last few weeks in fact.

We love to refer to Jeremiah 29:11 - God has plans and a purpose for you. However, do we ever connect these scriptures? We think of God's plans to prosper us meaning to bless us and love us. And I agree that is true. But, how often to we get out of our earthly, materialistic mindset and think about what that really means?

Let me put it this way: If I believe the Bible (and, I do) then I must trust His words. And if I believe the Bible, then I believe ALL of Psalm 139; that God not only formed me from the moment of conception, but He also knew my life before one breath was taken. All of it.

Travel with me: God knew I would be in a car accident at age 31 that would leave me with a dislocated shoulder that would plague me for years. (Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.)

Let's keep going: He knew I would be divorced at 38. He knew my children would grow up without their mother and father a part of their daily lives.

Take it further: God knew Curt Cannon would be in a devastating accident at age 7. God knew Caleb Gill would die of cancer at age 6.

So...what's my point?

God's purpose.

I found myself two years ago at the point of physical illness because of unknowns. Or, I should say unknowns - to me. And the Spirit reminded me in that devastating time that there are no unknowns to God. And in order to fully trust Him, I had to trust God with my unknowns.

Our future is unknown - to us. Our purpose is often unknown - to us.

But it is never - and I really believe NEVER - unknown to God.

So - as His follower; as His beloved; as His child; as His bride - do I trust Him with MY unknowns? Am I willing and ready to surrender my life to His purpose?

We can ask, "How can God's purpose be for me to face divorce? Traumatic brain injury? Death?" I am not saying that God wills pain and suffering on us. I am saying that He knows it is part of our experience on this earth. And He uses those experiences to His purpose.

If I focus on my pain and my heartache and all that has been taken from me, (thanks for the Narnia reference, Dana), then I am not fully trusting God. I am not trusting His love for me. I am not trusting that He does in fact hold me, and my life, and my children, in the palm of His mighty hand. And I spend too much energy and tear-filled nights filled with pain and heartache over "why."

But, if I trust that He does in fact have a point to all of this; He does in fact use my life, and my pain and my experience, to point others to Jesus; then my life truly does have a purpose.

You see, I cannot live one day thinking that my pain - or any others' pain - was pointless and random. If that is true - then truly what is the point?

It is for one purpose and one only - to point others to God. This is not my life. This is not ultimately my destiny. I am simply in the training camp for my true destiny that lies ahead. If my life is all sunshine and rainbows (you had to know I'd have a 'Rocky' reference in here somewhere) then I can never truly appreciate God's grace and providence and relentless passion for me. I can also never witness to others who face trials and do not know my Savior.

Whatever you're facing. There IS a purpose to it. There IS a point. And there IS a God. Who is not punishing you. Who is not indifferent.

Who IS: Desperately. Passionately. Relentlessly pursuing ... YOU.

2 comments:

  1. Something God has impressed upon me lately-no matter what happens in my future, no matter where I go, no matter how hard or wonderful the journey, GOD IS ALREADY THERE. He isn't limited by time and space so no matter what my future holds, God has already filled it up WITH HIMSELF. What more do I need?

    ReplyDelete