Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A Panoramic Viewpoint



This is picture-perfect Perspective.

Adrian is our indoor boxer-mix puppy. She loves the cat. Really. When outside, she chases her and grabs her by the scruff of her neck (ever so gently of course) and, when inside, whines - often - to go outside to chase the cat.

Sassy is our outdoor kitty. A purposeful figure in our family, Sassy holds a job and an important one at that. We live on 5 acres, 4 1/2 of which are wooded. Sassy's responsibility is to keep the homefront free of critters. And she does an amazing job! However, she is also the most affectionate, socially needy cat I have ever known. And, if it weren't for the cat hair and the fact that she is a tremendous hunter, I would de-claw her and allow her inside.

So, there they sit: Eye to eye with simply a pane of glass between them. Adrian longing to be outside. Sassy mewing to come in.

Perspective.

My life is filled with these reminders that keeping proper perspective takes effort. My life has not turned out the way I had planned. It could be so easy to sit and Lament my situation. God will not allow that. He expects significantly more than that of me - He has greater plans than that for me - and He does not have time for me to sit and Lament. So, because I am indeed the Fave, He grants me Perspective.

Surrounded by friends who must adapt their daily routine to include venomous fights with exes over control, manipulation, selfishness, and rage. Daily. I am forced to recognize and then thank God that the father of my children and I can communicate civilly, do occasional acts of service for one another and even make each other laugh. Is this the way I wanted it? No. But...

Perspective.

Exhausted at the end of a day, and lacking greatly in patience with my children and their questions and nagging and arguments and shouting and messes and selective hearing... (the list goes on)... I lean down for a quick bedtime prayer with my Squirt. Until she softly whispers "Curt" into my ear as I bow my head. I raise my head and look into the eyes of my 7-year-old daughter looking back at me. I am swiftly jolted into the reality that a mere few hours away, dear friends are sitting looking over their 7-year-old child as well. However, I am not looking at tubes, listening to monitors, longing for sweet arms around my neck, praying for a miracle. Does this erase the need for discipline? No. But...

Perspective.

I am an optimist at heart. My accuser stands to my side and reminds me often how my life has not turned out the way I had planned. He points out all the shattered dreams and hopes for the future of my children.

God is standing ahead of me (and to my side. and behind me.) with reminders of Perspective. He knows my story. He knew what would happen and where it would lead me. And where it has led me thus far has been into the middle of the greatest Love Story ever written.

I am not preachy. I am not wise. But I thank God that He opens my eyes to see the Panoramic View around me. The Word tell us that Christ opened the minds of the disciples in order to understand the scriptures more fully. I thank Him for loving me enough to open my mind - and eyes - to see His purpose and my life more clearly.

When I have perspective, I am less concerned about my unfulfilled desires.
When I have perspective, getting my way becomes less of a priority.
When I have perspective, I no longer feel neglected.

When I have perspective, I transform a little bit more into who He created me to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment