Thursday, March 10, 2011

40 Days of - Dirt in my Pocket??

Lent? But I'm not Catholic!

For years to me, Lent was a time period honored by "other denominations" with such traditions as not eating chocolate for the 40 days leading up to Easter. I never really understood it or respected it. Because, you know, "those people" celebrate it so it must be wrong.

I am not going to go into the history - or even the purpose of - the season of Lent with you here. I really just want to get back to basics.

Fasting is a 'spiritual discipline' (there I go with another one of those church phrases that most people question the meaning of) often neglected in the teachings of the church of Christ. In addition to teachings on and understanding of the Holy Spirit, those of us brought up in 'the church' rarely studied about or gained spiritual strength from the practice of Fasting. I am also not going to go into all of the options or variations on Fasting here. I just want to share a bit of my experience and observations.

My philosophy is that anything - and I do mean anything - that leads me closer to Jesus is a good thing. Whether it be my time on my porch, praying with a friend, learning from another whose choices in life are questionable, facing life-shattering experiences of my own, or a religious practice of another denomination; if it leads me to a closer relationship with my Lord and Savior, then it is a blessing to my life.

Whatever you call it, Lent or otherwise, any time period of fasting (be it partial, total, or a fasting of things other than food) is not only beneficial to our Spiritual strength but is also instructed in the Word.

Yesterday, as I was driving home from Nashville, half a day into the beginning of my 40-day partial fast, some thoughts came to light:

:How often do I reach for something - often junk food but sometimes not - mindless to escape the stress of my moment? Whether it's cookies, chips, a mindless computer game, or even the radio, I often do not want to focus. I don't want to think. Yesterday, getting into my car, I had to make the conscious decision to not grab for the cheesy poofs and instead, soak up the sounds of my children playing in the backseat and mentally hand over to God all the thoughts racing through my mind.
:My head hurt. Really. Why? Lack of sugar. Wow. Half a day of no processed sugar (except in my coffee) had given me a headache that I was not enjoying in the moment. Yet, the thought that this fast was not only detoxing my spirit but also my body gave me determination to continue on.
:We are all a bunch of hypocrites. We are all Pharisees. And it's time we realize it instead of sitting back pointing our fingers at each other.


In May of 2010 God called me to live a more transparent life. To be real. Honest. Open. Good. Bad. All of it. Because no one learns anything from watching others walk around this life trying to look perfect. I am not. I am flawed and broken. But learning and desperately in love with my Creator. And I want to share my journey. Not so that you will look at me and think how great I am (because I certainly am not). Simply because God called me to. And I will obey and trust Him with the rest.

More and more of my friends are honoring the season of Lent nowadays - denomination aside. And you know what? It's not easy. Any period of fasting is not easy. I share on this blog and Facebook because I need the prayers and encouragement of those walking this life with me. Some Facebook for networking. Others for social reasons. Others to stalk. And still others looking for that "special someone." I Facebook to encourage and be encouraged.

All I ask at this point is that we realize that we are ALL in this journey TOGETHER. We, as the people of God have got to stop criticizing each other and instead:
"encourage one another daily, as long as it is called “Today,” so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness. We have come to share in Christ, if indeed we hold our original conviction firmly to the very end." Heb. 3:13-14

Some criticize others for not fasting. Some criticize others for fasting and openly discussing it. We ALL criticize one another for not doing things the way 'we' think they should be done. And all of these little critical eyes working together divide the people of God. Instead, let's learn from each other. Let's encourage each other. NONE of us has all the right answers. I am not more holy because I fast. You are not more holy because you don't. I am not more holy because I talk to God on my porch. You are not more holy because you pray in your closet. I am not more holy because I openly share my journey. You are not more holy because your journey is your own and you choose instead to be more prayerful for others.

We. Are. All. In. This. Together.

Let's start acting like it folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment