Sunday, November 13, 2011

Supergirl, Interrupted


Once upon a time...

In your story, are you the 'damsel in distress'? Or are you the Superhero?

When I spoke earlier of Victims, I mentioned how we tend to fall into a comfort zone where this is concerned. And sometimes, if we are not the victim, we tend to desire to be the Rescuer.

That, is me.

I am Supergirl.

I am the one people come to when they are in need. I am the one people need to talk to, share with, get advice from. And I hate for those I love to suffer. I hate for them to struggle and be in pain. I hate for them to feel alone or abandoned. I want to step in and rescue them. Save the day.

But - not my job.

In the spring of 2009, I so desperately desired to be rescued. My world was crumbling. My life was shattered. I thought I would die. Literally.

'Someone save me...' I would pray.

This past week, I've talked with several friends who are really struggling - some in ways that I completely understand. One friend needs physical provision. Been there. One friend is exactly where I was, emotionally and spiritually, three years ago. Been there. And all I could think was how much I wanted to intervene. To say the right thing. To make the right move. To swoop in and 'save the day.'

Flashback to 2009.

What would have happened to me had someone rushed in and 'fixed' my broken life; picked up pieces, glued them back together; Rescued me? I would NOT be where I am today.

That was my journey. That was my struggle. That was my path to follow.
For a reason.

And that flashback forcefully shook my thought process to realize this:
I would NEVER want to take away from someone an experience that just might change their life in a deeply profound way. I am so incredibly glad that no one swooped in and robbed me of the experience that turned out to be the greatest journey of love that I could ever have imagined.

I cannot step in and rescue anyone from their pain. Because their pain is their journey to the Great Love. And their pain will ultimately become their victory.

So, this Supergirl is transforming - right before your very eyes.
It takes a great amount of restraint for this reformed SuperHero to shut her mouth, wrap an arm around you, weep alongside you, pray with you, and allow you to suffer.

But, I dare not rob someone of an experience like mine.

My pain was my victory.

And, it was simply transcendent.

No comments:

Post a Comment