Monday, January 23, 2012

One Exciting Adventure

What are your plans?

What are your hopes and dreams for your life?

Do you ever sit and think to yourself: This is NOT what I had planned for my life?

I've thought a lot about that one lately. Many times over the last couple of years I have sat in disbelief at the path my life has taken. Not in any way, shape, or form as I had anticipated. Not what I had planned.

You see, I was a planner. I liked lists and tasks and completing them one by one. I liked knowing where I was going and what would happen when I would get there.

In many ways I still am that way. But, I have also been pushed outside of that comfort zone into the realm of adventure. It is easy to see our lives turning out differently than we plan as failures, disappointments or shortcomings. But, I have been challenged to see it more as...

An Adventure.

I've thought a lot lately about the path my life is on now. Again, different than I had planned. Not in the least the way I had expected. But, so much more of an adventure than I had ever dreamed.

I've secretly wanted to be one of those people who can just pack up and head out at a moment's notice, trekking toward the horizon awaiting the next crusade around the corner. That's never been 'me.'

I have, however, begun to look more at my life that way: as One Exciting Adventure.

I don't put all of my eggs into the basket of my own plans much any more. Things are less exciting and much less successful when I am in the driver's seat anyway. So, I've worked at surrendering my plans and purpose as best I can.

That's the Greatest Adventure I can imagine at this phase in my life. Often I think I have it figured out - what my purpose is - what the plan is for my life. And then, again, I will realize it has changed. That is because I believe my purpose does change. Often. With each circumstance. With each season of life.

And I realized yesterday:

My purpose today is to be a Bridge...

No comments:

Post a Comment